Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sometimes I Wonder If The People Who Make Up Qoutes Ever Spent A Day In High School

It's better to be hated for what you are,
than loved for what you are not.
-Andre Gide


Yeah yeah, I know. The quote makes total sense, and it's completely correct too. I'm just pointing out the fact that what's true isn't always what's easy. We all pretend to a degree, just so we don't cause more waves than we already do. Be honest, how many times have you wanted to reach out and smack someone, but held back because you knew the drama that would ensue if you did? That's what I'm saying. Sometimes, it's good to hold back a bit. No one wants to be hated. I mean, imagine if Kanye had kept his smarmy ass off that stage. Just thought to himself that Beyonce's video was the best of all time and didn't feel the need to share it during Taylors acceptance speech? He might still be loved. By someone other than me. I always thought he was an egotistical jerk face.

This is what we are supposed to teach our kids though. To not worry about swimming in the mainstream, and to take the road less traveled. What do we do however, when that road leaves our babies stranded, without a friend to call on? Do we then encourage them that sometimes it's OK to play in the mainstream if it means having friends? Everyone wants their child to be popular, but no one wants their child to be a follower. Do you see how this doesn't exactly add up? Someone has to be the follower, or they have to strike out on their own, and hope that others follow them.

Being a parent is a tough gig, because you have to try and help guide, the best you can, without the outright interference of "TAKE THAT ROAD! NO, THAT ONE OVER THERE, WITH THE LIMBS BLOCKING YOUR PATH!" Also, why does the road less traveled always have to be the right one? I'm sure the worlds first whore traveled a hard road. Didn't make it a good one.

It's pretty sad that reading one quote in a book (Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill) sent me down this silly little introspective. I need to get my butt on the road and start traveling soon. I'm taking the one well traveled and laid with asphalt. I don't even want to think what the less traveled roads would do to my undercarriage! I guess my point is this:

Life isn't going to be easy, you shouldn't always take the easy way. But life shouldn't be unbearable either. Sometimes the path of least resistance turns out to be the best. You just need to take the time to judge both paths before heading down it. And leave breadcrumbs in case you need to find your way back.

No comments: