Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Forced My Daughter To Do Something She Didn't Want To Do

And it worked out. As I knew it would. But for 2 weeks, I was the evil mommy who wouldn't let her return the book until she read it.

The Babysitters Club, by Ann M. Martin. These are the books that got me hooked on reading. She likes reading, but only books that her friends tell her are "cool". Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Dear Dumb Diary, Judy Moody... She balked at Anne of Green Gables, which, I have to admit, kind of hurt! But I still have the rule that she can check out 3 of her choice, and one of mommys. If she doesn't like it, it's fine, but she has to give it an open mind.

Finally, she read the book. Right away she couldn't wait to get to the library to get more. She is currently half way through #2. It's 7:46pm and my daughter is laying in bed, reading.

3 comments:

Brandie said...

Nice! Glad she likes them. I can't remember the names of the books that I read as a child, but I remember sitting for hours reading. I am hopeful my daughter catches my love of reading too!

Torie said...

So, I followed you over from the BBC Bargain Hunters. Hope you don't mind?!? She doesn't like Anne of Green Gables. I read it as an adult, I LOVE IT! I am sure I won't be able to get my son to read it, but he reads some pretty good stuff.

Peaches said...

No, I don't mind! I want people to! I love Anne. I still read the books today. She and Gilbert are an awesome story.