Saturday, February 6, 2010

Let me tell you 'bout the birds and the bees, and the flowers and the trees

Today Alice and I finally discussed sex. I promised not to go into the mechanics, as she wasn't ready for it, but she was curious about periods, which means I have to explain babies as well. Thumbelina was in the playroom, not the least bit worried, and Matt took off to the bedroom, not wanting to hear a damn thing.

I also happen to have a huge dry erase board mounted on my kitchen wall. I had it put there when I was wedding planning, and I use it as a family calender now. Today, it became a bit more.

I explained to Alice about the ovaries and how the egg releases and told her that if a man and woman don't have sex (She covered her ears and reminded me I promised. To which I said that was it, no more S-E-X mention), that the egg dies.

This of course, led to, how does that itty bitty thing become a baby? I asked is she was sure she wanted to know, because it involved THAT? She decided she could handle it. So, I drew more diagrams, and explained about testicles and the mans penis, about X and Y chromosomes, and how Women only had X, and that every X was a girl, and that men had both X and Y, and that's why they get to "choose" the sex of the baby.

She especially enjoyed the part where I explained that while the Y sperm (boy) can swim faster, that the X sperm (girl) lasted longer. Here is my final diagram.

Photobucket (these are not hairy balls. Those dots are sperm)

Did I mention that I am NOT an artist? Did I also mention that I was cooking eggs while doing this demonstration?

2 comments:

Jen said...

LMAO!!! When it comes time for me to give the talk to my girls, can I borrow that diagram? Could you possibly give me a transcript of your lecture?
THanks!

Peaches said...

You can have it! A friend of mine told me that I need to video tape these "interactions" with her.