Wednesday, August 11, 2010

This Is A Very Weighty Issue

Alice is still having issues with her feet turning in. When she was 3, an idiot podiatrist told us that it would correct itself due to peer pressure. Oh, and told us, in front of her, that they would have to break her legs and reset them if they didn't. She'll be 8 on August 23rd, and she never forgot that comment. Neither did I, which might be why I took so long to broach the subject again. Today we had an appointment with her PCP to get a referral to another orthopedic surgeon who really wants to look at her. My MIL works for the local childrens hospital and mentioned the issue, so this doctor became interested and wants to help.

Our PCP did the referral for it, and is also making a referral for the mole on Alices' neck. She named the type of mole it was, but I can't remember, which is good, since I am sure I would be googling the crap out of it. Considering that 8 out of 10 times, google says it's cancer, add in the fact that it's a mole... Well, I would be a nervous wreck. I already know that a mole that grows isn't good, and this one has grown a lot. Scary for a mom to think about. As a matter of fact, I don't want to think about it.
Photobucket

So, on to the point of this blog post. I didn't write about all of this to make you worried. For me, I know that will all be fine. What is this extremely weighty issue? For the first time since she was 1, Alice is in the normal weight range for her age. To most people, that would be nothing, but for us, it's something to cry tears of joy over. Even our PCP was raving about it for a good 2-3 minutes, she was so happy. I think for the first time, Alice saw that I am not the mean evil mom that doesn't allow her to eat junk food and drink punch drinks like her friends, but she finally saw me as the mom who allows her to have things in moderation because I love her.

Of course, 10 minutes later that all went out the window when she through a fit in the middle of the bakery over the spelling on her 8th birthday cake. Apparently, she no longer likes our inside joke of the cake saying "Happy Birthday ___________" (her middle name, broken into two words.) Anyone have a brick wall I can borrow? I need to bang my head for a few hours.

No comments: