Sunday, July 19, 2009

Greetings and Salutations from my bed.

I was so terrified Wednesday night. I just knew I had forgotten to pack something and would wind up in Virginia without a bra or with no pants. It's amazing how terrified packing for just 4 short days can make you. Add that to the anxiety that Mary was going to hate me when we got up there? You can imagine I didn't get much sleep.

For the most part, all of my fears were unfounded (unless Mary secretly hated me. If so, kudos for hiding it really well!). The only thing I forgot was my razor. Which left Matt with no razor to shave with since I bogarted his for my underarms.

Right away it seemed that Mary and I hit it off. And let me tell you, this woman is an excellent cook. Her eggs can give you an orgasm. Of course, so can the new camera she bought when we were up there, but I'll let her tell you about that beauty on her blog. (which I am not linking for privacy issues. If you know, you know). I was nervous about talking to her, since conversations online are one thing, but face to face? How do you transition? Honestly? It was not hard at all. As Matt can attest to, we never really stopped talking. Even today when it was time to go, we kept talking about kids shows and other stuff that to most won't mean a thing. Poor Matt. He was so lost. But, held up surprisingly well I think.

There is so much that we did, so much that we talked about, it was like we had been friends forever! Or at least it was for me. :-) On Saturday we went to DC. It was fun, but HARD. We took the Metro to Arlington and it was wonderful to see the graves of people who fought for us. I know that I don't support the war in Iraq, but I fully support the troops that are there, living, fighting, dying, even for a cause I don't believe in. Seeing the tomb of the unknown brought tears to my eyes. We couldn't get the stroller up, so Mary stayed down so the older girls, Matt, and I could see it. She actually used to work there!

Somehow, we all agreed that we should just walk to the monuments across the bridge. That's right... We walked from Virginia to Washington DC. OMG, I am still hurting! We were all thinking by the end of the day that we had walked 10 miles. Mary called her dad once we got back to the car. That "10 miles"? Yeah, more like 2.7-3.0miles. LoL. I still say Google Maps are WRONG! Matt pushed the stroller almost the entire time, so poor him!

Leaving today was bittersweet. I missed my dog Ziva, and we were ready to get out of that shoe box of a hotel, but leaving Mary, her daughter and niece was so hard! They were a joy to hang out with and get to know. And I can't wait to see her again!


No comments: